This week I found myself in the lucky position of being nominated twice for the same award. Both the lovely Blinking Cat and Isn’t She Crafty nominated me for the Blogger Recognition Award, which was really kind. Both blogs are fab, go and take a look! I’ve received this award before, but I keep following new blogs so I’ll take this chance to give the award to other blogs that I enjoy reading.
The rules for the award:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them and provide the link to the post you created.
My blog started just over a year ago, after a lot of dithering. The name was decided in the dentist’s waiting room with Mr C, as a way of distracting me before having a filling. I researched how to set it all up, pinned at least 50 blogging advice pins on Pinterest and finally took the plunge. I’d been wanting to share my crafty side for so long, and when I changed jobs I suddenly had the time to craft and blog about it!
My advice for new bloggers is simple.
1) Only post as often as you feel you can, don’t try and ‘force’ posts. You’ll soon think of things to blog about naturally, so keep a notepad handy (I may sound old fashioned with my pen and paper, but I’m a teacher at heart and I can’t resist beautiful stationery!) When you feel like you’ve got no ideas, look back in your notepad and you’ll be inspired. I aim for 3-4 posts per week, any more and I’d have no time for making things to blog about! (You’ll find your own rhythm for blogging and how many posts are realistic for you, there are no rules.)
2) Talk to other bloggers! Online (through their blogs-make sure you leave worthwhile comments too), at local groups, however you choose. There’s so much content out there that you need to reach out if you want yours to be noticed. As well as driving traffic your way, you’ll pick up hints and tips. I love reading other blogs (and commenting on them), it’s been a huge part of my learning curve.
Now for the nominations. I always find this tricky as a lot of blogs I follow have already been nominated, so apologies if you’ve already had it. Please visit these blogs for all kinds of crafty advice, inspiration and baking, plus lots more!